Subject: Re: BetacamSP demanding
From: [email-masked] (Douglas Nakakihara )
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:28:06 -0800

>If you can, sell your VLab and get a perception. The quality is better than
>anything I've seen. (I've just about everything) It has composite, SVHS, and
>component Betacam in and out. Before we had Beta in house I would take my
>machine to a post house and do my transfer there. I know it's a drag, but if
>you're going to do high end work, you MUST have Betacam at the very least.

I would keep your VLab Motion card. The quality is fine for VHS demos and 
test renders for clients. In fact, NEVER give a client a high-quality test 
tape because 1) You don't want to give them anything they can use without 
compensation; and 2) You want to blow them away with the final.

I would recommend getting an Exabyte tape drive. Do everything up to the 
final rendered animation on your VLab. You can then transfer the final 
rendered frames to the Exabyte drive in Abekas format. You'll also need ADPro
 with the Abekas saver/loader. (I think this is now available from 
NoahJi's-MacroSystem Gmbh licensed it.)

Then take the tape down to a post house and have them transfer the frames to 
an Abekas machine. From there you can go to whatever format the client wants.

This is the absolute best quality possible--even better than the Perception. 
Plus, you don't have to worry about transporting your equipment, scoping 
video output, maintaining tape machines, etc. This is what I do and is 
the cheapest solution to your problem.

-- 
   ////   Douglas J. Nakakihara
   * *     ELECTRICAL LANGUAGE
    ~        Simi Valley, CA